Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 may be the best pick for business users, with major updates to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Entourage. After a series of delays, Microsoft plans to release Office. In Word 2007, click the Office button, choose Word Options at the bottom of the window, click Save in the left pane, select Browse to the right of Default file location, browse to the folder of.
By default, your Startup folder is in /Applications/Microsoft Office X/Office/Startup/Word. These locations were a convenient place for Microsoft to install templates, because it knows that if it can get permission to install the application, it has permission to write to this location.
Dec 16, 2020 • Filed to: Solve Mac Problems • Proven solutions
This is a query from one of the MS Word users on Mac that we have got recently. As you know, MS Word is a part of the Office suite, which is developed by Microsoft. Apart from Windows, it is also available for Mac and provides tons of utility features. Though, there are times when Word on Mac keeps crashing and users are not able to utilize its features or even save their existing files.
Don't worry! the issue is pretty common and can easily be fixed. In this guide, we will teach you why does Microsoft Word keep crashing on Mac and how to fix this problem in 8 different ways. Apart from that, we will also discuss how to recover Word document after a crashed Mac. Let's begin and start a quick MS Word troubleshooting on Mac.
Part 1: Why Microsoft Word Keeps Crashing on Mac?
Before we discuss issues to fix the Microsoft Word Mac crashing issues, it is important to note what could have caused the problem to begin with. In this way, you would be able to understand why does Word keeps crashing on Mac and can even avoid it in the future.
- Mostly, MS Word crashes because of a fault in the Office suite of the tool itself. Chances are that the application could not have been installed probably.
- You might be running an old or incompatible version of Word on your Mac.
- If you are using a pirated MS Word application, then it could have been corrupted as well.
- Sometimes, Mac doesn't give permissions to third-party applications (like Word), making them faulty to work.
- The source drive where MS Word has been installed could be corrupt as well.
- The location of the MS Word application could have been moved to someplace else.
- The application was crashed earlier or closed during processing, making it faulty or corrupt.
- Chances are that MS Word could have been infected by malware.
Part 2: How to Fix 'Microsoft Word Keeps Crashing on Mac'
The good news is that most of these problems can easily be resolved if we follow the right approach. Ideally, you can fix Microsoft Word keeps crashing issue with these solutions.
1. Check the Hard Drive Name
A faulty hard drive name is one of the most common issues for Word to malfunction. This is because Mac provides a more flexible way to name the hard drive while Windows has certain restrictions. If needed, you might need to change the hard drive name as well to fix this. Here's how you can check and rename hard drive on Mac to make it compatible with Word.
- Just click on the Apple logo on the top left corner of the desktop and open the Applications tab. Go to the utility section to open the Disk Utility window.
- Select your Mac hard drive from the left and view its name and other details on the right (under the 'Partitions' tab).
- Make sure that the drive has a name and it should start from a character. While it can have numbers, it should not have all numbers or any special character. Make the needed changes to rename the hard drive.
Once the hard drive has been renamed, you can restart Mac and try accessing MS Word on it again.
2. Clear the AutoRecovery Folder
As you know, Auto-save is an inbuilt feature in MS Word that automatically saves the running document in the background. It allows us to fetch our files back if they are lost or closed unexpectedly. Though, sometimes the AutoRecovery folder might cause some clash with the application itself, making it faulty. Therefore, you can consider clearing it to fix Word on Mac keeps crashing.
- To start with, simply launch Finder on your Mac, and from its menu, click on Go > Go to Folder.
- Now, copy and paste the path '~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery/' on your Mac (without the quotes).
- As you click on 'Go', it will open the AutoRecovery folder on your Mac. From here, you can just delete the auto-saved files so that the folder would be cleared.
3. Reset the Word Preferences
Sometimes, the reason for Microsoft Word Mac crashing could be the wrong preferences on the application as well. To resolve this, you can reset the preferences altogether and try restarting Word.
- Firstly, select the Word icon on the desktop and go to the Word > Preferences option from the menu.
- As the Word Preferences tab would be opened, click on the 'File Locations' icon from here.
- This will open the File Locations feature on the screen. Click on the 'User templates' option and choose to 'Reset' it.
- You can also click on the 'Modify' button to view it. Here, you can see a 'Normal' file. You can cut and paste it to any other location (like your desktop) or simply move it to the Trash as well.
After resetting the Word preferences, restart the applications and check if it fixes MS Word crashing on Mac or not.
4. Save the Word Document to another Location
Apart from the MS Word application, there could be a problem with Mac storage. as well. For instance, if the particular partition or sector on the hard drive has been corrupted, then you should try to save your documents somewhere else. This will help you avoid Word crashing on Mac or prevent the loss of your important files as well.
- Firstly, open the MS Word application on your Mac and try opening the file. If you are lucky, you would be able to open the file without the Word application crashing.
- Quickly, go to the File menu and click on the 'Save As' option.
- Now, browse to the location where you wish to save your Word document and give it the needed name.
Alternatively, you can also copy your MS Word file and just paste it to any other location as well.
5. Download and Install Word Updates
As stated previously, one of the reasons for Microsoft Word crashing on Mac could be an old version of the application. If the MS Word application has not been updated in a while, then it can encounter compatibility issues with Mac. The best way to fix MS Word crashing on Mac is by updating it. Not only will it fix the Microsoft Word Mac keeps crashing, but it will also make the application more secure by installing the needed patches.
- Simply launch the Word application on your Mac and from its menu, go to Help > Check for Updates.
- From here, you can enable the automatic update option if you want to. Make the relevant selection and click on the 'Check for Updates' button again.
- In no time, MS Word will connect to its server and look for any recently available updates. Once it will notify you the same, you can just select the update and click on the 'Install' button.
- Now, you can just wait for a while as Word would install the update and restart in the end to a stable version.
6. Create another User Account on Mac
Although it might sound surprising, there could be some issue with your user account on Mac as well. For instance, the account you are accessing might be blocked to use certain applications or there could be a clash with some commands. To avoid this problem and fix Microsoft Word keeps crashing on Mac, simply create another account on your system instead.
- To start things, go to the Apple icon from the desktop and visit System Preferences.
- Click on the 'Users & Groups' sections from here. Once its dedicated window will open, click on the lock icon at the bottom to make some changes in it.
- You need to enter your administrator password to proceed. Afterward, click on the '+' icon to add a new account.
- Simply enter basic details for the new account (like its type, name, and so on) and click on the 'Create User' button in the end.
- If you want, you can create a different password for the new account and link it with the same iCloud account as well.
In the end, you can sign-out from the present account and log-in to the new account instead. Now, try to open MS Word and see if it resolves the problem or not.
7. Boot Mac in Safe Mode
Just like Windows, you can also boot your Mac system in a safe mode as well. The safe mode is mostly used for troubleshooting and it automatically turns on various secondary processes. In this way, you can check if there is a problem with the MS Word application itself or your Mac system. Here's how you can boot your Mac in safe mode and fix Microsoft Word crashing on Mac.
- Simply turn on your Mac by pressing the power button. If you are already using it, then restart it instead.
- As soon as you would hear the startup chime (or see Apple's logo), press the Shift key on the keyword.
- Keep pressing it for the new few seconds as Mac would be restarted in the safe mode.
- You can see 'Safe Mode' written at the top right corner of the screen now. Just log-in to any account and try accessing the MS Word application on it.
8. Run Disk Utility to Repair Crashed Word
If none of the above-listed techniques would fix MS Word crashing on Mac, then you can consider repairing the entire disk. Although it would take a lot of time, it will make sure that your Mac's disk would stay secure and in a healthy condition. To repair your Mac's disk and fix Word keeps crashing on Mac, follow these quick steps:
- Look for the 'Disk Utility' option from the Spotlight and open it. Alternatively, from the main menu on Mac, click on Go > Utilities and launch the Disk Utility window.
- From the left panel, you can select the primary disk on your system. In most of the cases, it is Macintosh HD. Now, click on the 'First Aid' option from its toolbar and confirm your choice.
- As Mac would start repairing the disk, you can just wait for a while for the process to be completed.
- Once it is done, restart your Mac and check if Microsoft Word keeps crashing on Mac or not.
Part 3: How to Recover Crashed Word Documents on Mac?
When an application crashes on Mac, we often end up losing its data. Similarly, if MS Word has been crashed while you were working on a document, then you might end up losing it forever. To avoid such an unwanted scenario, consider using Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac. It is one of the best data recovery tools for Mac that is used by leading experts. Developed by Wondershare, it provides a fast, easy, and highly secure way to get your data back. The application has a high data recovery rate and supports all the leading Word document extensions.
- With the help of Recoverit Data Recovery, you can get back your lost, deleted, or inaccessible Word files in a jiffy.
- The application supports all kinds of other data types too like photos, videos, PDFs, Excel sheets, emails, compressed files, and so much more.
- No matter what the situation is, Recoverit will help you in every possible data loss scenario like accidental deletion, corrupt storage, lost partition, etc.
- It follows different scanning modes, letting users save their time and get the expected results as well.
How to Fix Microsoft Word Keeps Crashing on a Mac?
How to Recover Word Document on Mac
To learn how to recover Word document after a crashed Mac, the following steps can be taken.
Select a target location
Simply launch Recoverit Data Recovery on your Mac and select a location where you wish to perform the scan. This would be the primary Macintosh HD in this case. Though, if you want, you can perform data recovery on an external device as well.
Scan for the lost files
As you would mark a source location and start the process, Recoverit will carefully scan the location. You are recommended to wait for a while so that the process can be completed without any trouble.
Preview and recover your Word files
When the data extraction process is completed, the application will let you preview the recovered content. Now, you can simply select the Word files you want back and save them to any secure place.
Part 4: Tips to prevent Word Keeps Crashing on Mac
If you don't want to suffer from an unexpected loss of data or MS Word crashing on Mac, then consider following these suggestions.
- Always make sure that the MS Word application is updated on your system. You can turn on the automatic update to save your time.
- Keep the real-time scanning of the firewall, so that the application would be safe from any malware attack.
- Don't turn off your Mac when MS Word is still running in the background.
- Try not to close any MS Word document in between or in an unexpected manner.
- Install MS Word in the primary partition on your Mac hard drive (if you have multiple partitions).
- Don't install MS Office from an unreliable source (or a pirated version). Buy it from Microsoft's official website to avoid any software-related issue.
Now when you know how to fix Microsoft Word keeps crashing on Mac, you would be able to resolve this issue like a pro. Apart from listing different fixes for Word crashing on Mac, we have also provided a quick solution to perform data recovery on Mac as well. With the help of Recoverit Data Recovery, you can easily get back any lost or deleted content in no time. Go ahead and download the Mac data recovery tool on Mac or share it with others to teach them how to recover crashed Word document on Mac.
What's Wrong with Mac
- Recover Your Mac
- Fix Your Mac
- Delete Your Mac
- Learn Mac Hacks
Quickly open or access your word startup folder location in Word
Kutools for Word
To have a template or an add-in available whenever you start word, you have to store the add-in or the template in the word Startup folder. Is there an easy way to quickly open the word Startup folder location in Word? Kutools for Word's Word Startup Location utility can quickly open the Startup folder location with one click.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
More Than 100 Powerful Advanced Features for Word, Save 50% Of Your Time.
Bring Tabbed Editing And Browsing To Office (Include Word), Far More Powerful Than The Browser's Tabs.
Click Kutools >> More >> Word Startup Location. See screenshot:
Open or access your word startup folder
If you want to quickly open or access your word startup folder in Word, you can quickly get it done as follows:
1. Please open your Office Word application, and then applying this utility by clicking Click Kutools >> More >> Word Startup Location.
How to get logic pro x for free mac 2015. 2. It will open the word startup folder as shown in the below screenshot.
As you can see in the above screeshot, you can see my word startup folder.
This is only one tool of Kutools for Word
Kutools for Word frees you from performing time-consuming operations in Word;
With bundles of handy tools for Word 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 and Office 365;
Easy to use and install in Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 10 and Windows Vista;
Microsoft Word Startup File Location
More FeaturesFree downloadBuy now
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
Where Is Startup Folder In Windows 7
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.I installed it, downloaded it but still there is nothing I can see when I open my word document, what shall I do?