Test Server: Synology’s DSM, while powerful, can be confusing when first starting. Their documentation is generally lacking and having a test environment where you can try new things is great. VPN Client/Server: By default, Synology only allows you to run a VPN Client or Server on DSM. Meaning that you need to pick between setting up a VPN. Hi guys,This is how you install Synology Software on your NAS, it's incredibly easy:DStay in the loop with Synology software follow me here:http://facebook. Install Synology NAS and DSM For more information about setting up Synology NAS and installing DSM, see the Quick Installation Guide for your Synology NAS model available at Synology’s Download Center. Sign into DSM After setting up and installing DSM on your Synology NAS, you can sign into DSM using a web browser on your computer.
This tutorial is designed to help you install ubooquity on a Synology NAS. Initial tutorial has been written quite a long time ago, by Matthew Sanders and the information it contained had become outdated. This updates should work for:
- Synology NAS running DSM6.0 version and more recent
- ubooquity v2.1
I recommend that you assign a static local IP address to your server through your router. This enables you to bookmark the Ubooquity web interface.
In this tutorial, 192.168.1.2 is used as an example of local IP for a Synology NAS. Replace it with your own.
- Synology brand NAS
- A Synology model capable of running the Java. Most recent models would run Java manager, check this page for a list of applicable models. If your model is not listed try installing Java using this separate tutorial.
- Internet access
- Synology DSM version 6 or greater (although the ssh procedure would work with DSM version 5)
- Install Java JRE 8 or greater on your server,
- Create a shared folder to serve as repository for all your comics and books
- Download the Ubooquity jar to a convenient place on your server,
- Tell you box to run ubbooquity on boot, 2 options here:
- Create an Upstart script in /etc/init (requires ssh access to your box),
- Use Synology’s task scheduler (requires DSM6.0 at least)
- Use the web interface to configure Ubooquity
ssh procedure was tested on Synology ds215j, running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 4) Java Manager application is not available on tested DSM SW/HW combination. Luckily it’s not necessary because Synology issued packages Java7 and Java8 that are platform specific so the process is even simpler. Just install the Java package and skip to next step. Ubooquity 1.10.1 definitely works with Java 8.
ssh procedure tested on Synology ds418+, with DSM 6.1 and Ubooquity 2.1.1task scheduler procedure tested on synology ds418+ [see forum]
Prepare Synology NAS
- Use the Java Manager app supplied by Synology to install the latest JRE
- Create a shared folder as repository for all comics and ebooks files
- upload you comics/books to the shared folder
Open the webadmin interface 192.168.1.2:5000. Log in to the DSM and open the Control Panel
Open the Package Center and install the Java Manager.
Open the Java Manager application and follow the instructions to download the most recent Java SE Development Kit for your server architecture then choose the archive you downloaded and use it to install Java.
Create shared foled
- Create a shared folder titled “Comics”.
- Upload your comics to the shared folder, using ‘file manager’ for example
** note **Ubooquity is not doing any management of the files/folder structure: you should pay attention to the way you arrange your comics in the folder as ubooquity will use the folder structure to determine the grouping it useswill display. In my setting I use one folder for each serie.
(option 1) Procedure with upstart script
- ssh must be anabled on your box for this procedure
if not already done: enable ssh access on your box
Lightroom for mac m1. DxO PhotoLab is the first alternative you can use to replace Lightroom. Genuine New Sealed Full Version ADOBE LIGHTROOM 3 for Mac and PC P/N 65064073. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 for Mac & PC (Retail) Great Condition With Serial # $52.00 0 bids + shipping. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3. Lightroom Classic is installed locally on your computer. Lightroom is a cloud-based service with three device-based apps: desktop, mobile and web. You don't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them. You only need to connect to the Internet once every 99 days to validate your membership. Lightroom is the cloud-based service that gives you everything you need to create, edit, organize, store, and share your photos across any device. Built for photography. Capture, edit, and share your photos all from one place. Download Adobe Lightroom 3 For Mac Features and Description Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is a image and photo management software for Mac OS X and Windows which is designed to help.
- Open the webadmin interface 192.168.1.2:5000. Log in to the DSM and open the Control Panel
- Open the Terminal & SNMP tab and enable the SSH service.
For security: it is usually recommanded to modify the ssh port to somthing less usual if you want to ssh your box from internet
- SSH in to your server using your admin password, but as the root user
- Browse to /var/packages/, download the Ubooquity archive, and Unarchive Ubooquity.zip
- Create an upstart script in /etc/init and start the jar
UPDATE DSM 6Login with root is not possible anymore on DSM 6. Replace step 2 with the following 3 steps
- Login with admin and your admin password
- enter; sudo -i
- enter your password
- If you are using Windows download and run the Putty SSH client.
- Connect to your server through SSH at 192.168.1.2 then log in as the root user using the admin password. That is the same user you used to log in to the Synology DSM web interface.
- Browse to /var/packages/ using the command cd /var/packages
- Create the Ubooquity directory then enter it with
[ -d Ubooquity ] mkdir Ubooquity && cd Ubooquity
- Download the Ubooquity archive with
wget -O ubooquity.zip http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity/service/download.php
- Unzip the archive then remove it with
7z x ubooquity.zip && rm ubooquity.zip
- Move to the Synology Upstart services directory (all services listed in this directory are started on boot) with
- Download the Ubooquity service script with
- Make the service script executable with
chmod 755 ubooquity.conf
- adapt the script to your environment if needed; you need to know vi to do this from ssh terminal; alternatively you can edit the script in your prefered text editor and then copy the modified script to cd
The Ubooquity service is now installed. It will start on boot and you can start or stop it at anytime using
start ubooquity or
stop ubooquity. You can also see the status of the ubooquity processs unsing
NOTE if Java8 is used
If you used Synology Java8 package instead of Java Manager then the service script will have the wrong path to the java binary. Edit the
/etc/init/ubooquity.conf and change path to java binary from:
exec /var/packages/JavaManager/target/Java/bin/java -jar -Xmx1024m /var/packages/Ubooquity/Ubooquity.jar -port 2202 -webadmin -workdir '/volume1/Comics/Ubooquity'
exec /var/packages/Java8/target/j2sdk-image/bin/java -jar -Xmx1024m /var/packages/Ubooquity/Ubooquity.jar -port 2202 -webadmin -workdir '/volume1/Comics/Ubooquity'
(option 2) Procedure with task scheduler
- requires DSM 6.0 or greater
- create ubooquity.sh script and save it on your box
- use task manager to tell your box to launch the script on startup
- Download the Ubooquity service script and save it on your server.
You can start with the file here ubooquity.sh
adapt the script to your environment and save it as ubooquity.sh on your server.
go in control panel, open ‘task manager’
- create a task in “planned tasks” with 2 options
- launch on boot
- use the script “ubooquity.sh” file from above
That’s it! it should start ubooquity automatically eveytime you restart your boxTo start ubooquity now without having to restart your box, simply run ‘execute’ from the web interface
- Browse to the Ubooquity administrator page
- Set the admin password
- Add your comics directory, enable OPDS then initiate a scan
Synology Dsm Manual
- The Ubooquity web interface should be running at
192.168.1.2:2202. Go to
192.168.1.2:2202/adminand you will be asked to set the administrator password. Set the password.
- Edit the comics settings and add
/volume1/Comicsin the shared directory text area.
- Edit the advanced settings. Enable OPDS and add
.*Ubooquityto the scan exclusion pattern.
- Scroll to the top of the admin page to the General area and click ‘Launch new scan’. Your comics are now available at
192.168.1.2:2202and should be bookmarked.
Synology Dsm Download
Well, I was playing with Synology (which seems decently stable). It is a pretty lousy Plex server mainly I think because the processor is slow and it can’t transcode. On the other hand, it is incredibly fast. Running with 1GB ethernet, I regularly get 100MBps which is pretty amazing. Faster than the local hard disk of my old iMac (which does about 80MBps).
So trying other things, I’m trying to see about using Asterisk and getting rid of Comcast Voice eventually and also a Mail Server, so I don’t have to worry about privacy issues (Gmail and the like).
Installing Asterisk is pretty easy. Just download the package, but then it takes you to a logon screen and asks for user name and password. Lots of google searches don’t show anything, but the inspired guess was to try admin and password. No go. Then saw the default for Synology DSM itself is admin and no password. This worked!