To change other defaults, scroll to the bottom of the default app settings page and you'll see three more menus: Choose default apps by file type: This lets you choose what apps should open a particular file type, such as PDF, MP3, and others. How to change your browser preferences so it uses Acrobat or Reader PDF viewer. In the list of add-ons, select Adobe PDF Reader. Note:. If you do not see the Adobe PDF Reader add-on, try the other options on the menu. For example, on some systems, the add-on appears when you select Run Without Permission. To change a different PDF reader or viewer in Windows 10, click the link “Choose default apps by file type” at the bottom. When the Choose default apps by file type screen opens, scroll down until you find.pdf. Click on the current default PDF viewer. Once the “Choose an app” pop-up opens, select Adobe Acrobat to set as default.
The default PDF reader in OS X is Apple's Preview.app until you choose a different reader, but as Ty indicated Word is not a PDF reader & never has been able to open PDF files. If you want to switch it back see OS X Mac Help on the topic: Choosing an application to open a document. In this tutorial, Luke shows you how to change your default PDF reader on your Mac computer. There are various programs that can be used to read PDFs and you don't have to decide on only one. Your Mac is probably pre-programmed to open up the 'Preview' application when you click on a PDF file, but if you'd prefer to use something else, such as.
From documents, resumes to books, PDF is a pretty standard file format. Mac’s default PDF viewer is Preview. But you can easily change the default PDF viewer on Mac in just a few clicks. Preview is great for viewing PDFs and basic annotating. However, it lacks a few features. To modify the text or to fill forms, you will need a sophisticated PDF editor app, and making them the default PDF viewer will save both time and energy.
Default Pdf Viewer Ipad
How to Set the Default PDF Viewer on Mac
If you have downloaded an alternative PDF viewer on your Mac, the app might have prompted you to become the default application. So, before we move on, let’s first check what is a default PDF reader on your Mac.
Check the Default PDF Viewer on Mac
Step #1. Lookup a PDF file on your Mac and right-click or tap it with two fingers.
Step #2. Hover the cursor on Open With and observe the dialogue box that appears.
The first option in the listing will have (default) written behind the app. This signifies that the app is currently the default PDF viewer on your Mac.
Now that we have discovered it, let’s get down to switching the default PDF viewer.
To Change Default PDF Viewer on Mac
Step #1. Tap the PDF file with two fingers or right-click to invoke the contextual menu.
Step #2. Move the cursor to Get Info and click.
Step #3. In the pop-up window, look for the “Open With:” menu. If the tab is closed, expand it by clicking on the small grey arrow beside it.
Step #4. Here, click on the drop-down menu and select the application you prefer.
Step #5. Once selected, click on Change All… button to make it default.
Step #6. Click Continue to confirm.
And now, when you check the default PDF viewer on Mac, it will have the app you set.
Do note that this method does not just apply to PDF files. This indeed is the way to change the default app of any kind of file. So, go ahead, mix, match, and play!
And as far as file formats go, PDF is amongst the most popular and secure document formats out there. And thankfully Mac carries a variety of features to accommodate the format, such as:-
A self-professed Geek who loves to explore all things Apple. I thoroughly enjoy discovering new hacks, troubleshooting issues, and finding and reviewing the best products and apps currently available. My expertise also includes curating opinionated and honest editorials. If not this, you might find me surfing the web or listening to audiobooks.
- https://www.igeeksblog.com/author/arshmeet/Why Hasn't Apple Adopted USB-C for iPhone? Brewing An Alternative..
- https://www.igeeksblog.com/author/arshmeet/Why Is Samsung's Galaxy S10 Lite and Note 10 Lite a Brilliant Idea?
The default applications in Mac are easy to use. But, some of the default apps lacks some features that we badly need. Or there are operations that we want to perform but aren’t available in Mac default programs. So, what we can do in such a scenario?
All we can do is change default application on Mac from the one we want to use in Mac.
Today, in this article, we will be looking at the step by step guide for how to change Mac default programs from the ones that we prefer to use.
Change Mac Default Calendar
This process will change your Mac’s default Calendar Application.
1. From the Applications folder, open Calendar or type ‘Calendar’ in Search box and open it.
2. Now, from the menu bar of Calendar, go to ‘Preferences’.
3. Now in General, select the ‘Default Calendar App’ menu.
4. In this menu, choose the preferred calendar application, which will be the default calendar app.
How to Change Default Mail Application on Mac?
This process will change default mail application on Mac to open and send mails.
1. From the Applications, open Mail or type ‘Mail’ in Search box and open it.
2. Now, from the menu bar of Mail, go to ‘Preferences’.
3. Now in General, select the ‘Default Mail Reader’ dropdown menu.
4. Choose the preferred default mail reader application. There are some applications that are not fully functional at times. So, when choosing the default mail reader app make sure that it performs all the functions that you want to perform.
How to Change Default Browser on Mac?
This process will tell you how to change default browser on Mac with the specific web browser of your choice.
1. For this, you have to go to Mac’s System Preferences from the menu bar.
2. In System Preferences, go to General box.
3. As soon as you enter the General Pane in System Preferences, there is a ‘Default web Browser’ option followed by the dropdown menu.
4. From the given list of web browsers, select the one that you most commonly use. And, if you see any third-party web browsers in the list, avoid making them as your default web browser.
How To Change Default Viewer For Pdf Mac Download
Far cry 3 cheats for pc. This process can also be done from within the respective web browser by going to preferences & simply performing the steps.
Read Also : How To Organize Files And Folders Using macOS Tags
Make Google Chrome Default Web Browser
1. Go to Preferences in Google Chrome menu.
How To Change Default Viewer For Pdf Mac Os
2. In Default Browser option, click ‘MAKE DEFAULT’.
Mac Set Default App
3. After this, a Mac OS dialog box will appear on your screen asking you to confirm. Select Use “Chrome” button.
Note: Mozilla Firefox can be made default browser by following the same steps given above.
Change Mac Default Image Viewer
This process will change your Mac’s default image viewer with the specific viewer of your choice.
1. Find and search for an image in file finder with extension .jpg or .png.
2. Now, right click on the picture and select ‘Get Info’ option from the menu.
3. In Get Info window, search for ‘Open with:’.
4. Now when you click the menu given on the right side of Open with, a list of applications will appear that are able to view that image.
5. Choose the application that you want to open your image with.
6. Now press the ‘Change All’ button. This button confirms that the particular application is set as the default image viewer application.
7. After pressing Change All, a dialog box will appear on your screen asking you to continue with this app. Press Continue.
This will change your default mac image viewer.
Read Also : 10 Best Data Recovery Software for Mac 2018
Note: By following the same steps as given above, you can change your Mac’s default app to open files & file types as well.
These all the steps allow us to change the default applications on a Mac.
How To Change What Program Opens Files
There are some applications as well that allow you to change your systems default applications.
If you found this helpful, please let us know. You can also drop your feedback in the comment section below.